Wednesday, December 3, 2008

"Daughters of God" by Elder M. Russell Ballard

I love this talk. Click here to read it. I know as a mom I need constant reminding of how eternally important this tough job is. I find that reading uplifting articles/stories helps me get through the "rough" days. I am going to dedicate this week, or what is left of it to this talk. Focusing on the main points. If you have an experience you want to share. Feel free to leave it in the comments, e-mail me, or post about it. I believe that's how we learn, by sharing our own personal stories.


{We are Daughters of God Week - Part 1:}
"There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children. The choice is different and unique for each mother and each family. Many are able to be “full-time moms,” at least during the most formative years of their children’s lives, and many others would like to be. Some may have to work part-or full-time; some may work at home; some may divide their lives into periods of home and family and work. What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else."


"I am impressed by countless mothers who have learned how important it is to focus on the things that can only be done in a particular season of life. If a child lives with parents for 18 or 19 years, that span is only one-fourth of a parent’s life. And the most formative time of all, the early years in a child’s life, represents less than one-tenth of a parent’s normal life. It is crucial to focus on our children for the short time we have them with us and to seek, with the help of the Lord, to teach them all we can before they leave our homes. This eternally important work falls to mothers and fathers as equal partners. I am grateful that today many fathers are more involved in the lives of their children. But I believe that the instincts and the intense nurturing involvement of mothers with their children will always be a major key to their well-being. In the words of the proclamation on the family, “Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children” (“The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” Liahona, Oct. 2004, 49; Ensign, Nov. 1995, 102).

"We need to remember that the full commitment of motherhood and of putting children first can be difficult. Through my own four-generation experience in our family, and through discussions with mothers of young children throughout the Church, I know something of a mother’s emotions that accompany her commitment to be at home with young children. There are moments of great joy and incredible fulfillment, but there are also moments of a sense of inadequacy, monotony, and frustration. Mothers may feel they receive little or no appreciation for the choice they have made. Sometimes even husbands seem to have no idea of the demands upon their wives."



As many of you know, I am not a full time "stay at home Mom." Sometimes I really wish I was, but I don't have that option right now. I have been judged quite harshly by many for this. I loved reading this because it made me realize that, even though it may not seem like it, there are other's out there like me. And also, it made me feel like it was ok as long as I love my daughter with all my heart and I do!

Feel free to share what you liked most about this part of the talk!



4 comments:

Smitty n' Chelle said...

What a great talk. I know how hard it is to be a working mom as I did it for a year and a half while Kialey was little and i think I cried everyday! I HATED it, leaving my baby with some one else to see all the fun things she does and learns and I am stuck at work. I know this day and age it is hard to be a stay at home mom. Money is tight and if you have a husband trying to get school done all you can do is work so have food on the table. I am so greatful that we picked a job for Josh that would allow me to be a stay at home mom. I sacrifice living by family but it is worth it to be here every day teaching them the values I want them to have and not missing any of their milestones. I love that Kialey gets to come home and know that I will be here waiting for here. I know a lot of people are judgemental when they see mothers working but my opinion is that as long as you are not doing it to get away from your kids and that it is a goal you have and it may take a while to get there it is what is in your heart that counts. Thanks for putting this article on here. It is a great one!

Amanda said...

Thanks for sharing, Marissa. I think I really needed this today.

"There are moments of great joy and incredible fulfillment, but there are also moments of a sense of inadequacy, monotony, and frustration. Mothers may feel they receive little or no appreciation for the choice they have made. Sometimes even husbands seem to have no idea of the demands upon their wives."

I was so upset with my husband over the weekend because I felt he wasn't doing any of the hard work, but just coming home from work and playing with the baby while I continued to 'work' - dinner, cleaning the house, you know . . . A mom's job is never done, and I feel like I never get a break. But reading this made me feel better about things. I realize that I do things for my baby because I know that it is what's best for him even though it is hard on me. My big challenge right now is that because I'm breastfeeding my baby I feel like I really can't get away. It's hard to leave him with a sitter even for a few hours, I can't turn the nighttime problems over to my husband because he certainly can't feed the baby! and I've found myself filled with jealousy for moms that are bottle feeding their babies. But I also know that these specific hard times won't last forever, and that little boy of mine is the greatest blessing. The Lord with help and bless us with our needs as long as we ask and allow Him to be in our lives.

So thank you for posting this talk so that I could remember what is really important and let go of some self pity. :-)

Unknown said...

Amanda, I am so glad this article could help you out. I know exactly what you are talking about when you feel like you never get a break. There were a few times I thought I would go crazy. I wasn't ever able to nurse Kaylee, but here are a few reasons I think nursing is the way to go. Formula smells disgusting and is sticky, you are constantly cleaning bottles, your baby gets constipated a whole lot more, making a bottle and worrying about always having a bottle with you gets hard. And here is another way to look at it....nursing only lasts 12-15 months. In a short time you can easily passs your baby over to your husband or a babysitter:) Also, whenever I felt trapped and like I couldn't get out I would go on a drive or just go shopping. I would try to get friends to go with me. So if you are ever needing to get out, csll me and lets go shopping! It helps a ton! Even if you don't buy anything. Anyway, thanks for sharing. I love hearing that other people feel the same way as me. Sometimes I feel like I am the only mother in the world feeling these things.

The Thomas Clan said...

This talk just made me happy. I LOVE being a mom... It is so so hard sometimes, but I have been trying the past while to follow the counsel to live in and enjoy all the little moments with my kids and I tell you, it has paid off! There has been a very happy mom in our house! I have figured out that nothing will or should be perfect and just plain that being a mom is just flat out fun - no matter what our individual circumstances are, it just doesn't matter ... all that matters is that we just have fun and that we thank Heavenly Father constantly for these little angels and for our husbands and family and all we are blessed with. Keep the great posts and comments coming - they sure do brighten my day :)

Live Traffic feed