Friday, December 5, 2008

great ideas needed...

Me and Mat want so much to be better at reading our scriptures and praying and family home evening ... I am being very honest in saying that we have a really hard time sticking to all these things ... but we are constantly trying and we have the desire to be great at it ... So, the reason for this post is not to tell everyone that we suck (lol) but to get some ideas from you all ... How do the rest of you do it? Mat has a very unsteady schedule - it changes constantly so doing the exact same thing every day doesn't work ... like this week he's been going in at 4am and then some days he is there till 11 pm and his days off are ALWAYS different ... if anyone else deals with hard schedules and has any ideas for me PLEASE share... we need to figure out how to be consistent at these important things in an inconsistent world. Also, any ideas on making it fun for our very young children?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know all about inconsistent schedules. Cody's schedule is always being changed! It is hard, isn't it? I need ideas too! The only thing I can say is set goals every week once he gets his schedule. Assuming Mat gets his scedule a week in advance:) We always try to get together on Sunday and figure out some time to read scriptures. And honestly our FHE is usually on a different day of the week due to Cody's schedule. Sometimes we don't meet our goals but it feels good to try. But I also need suggestions:)

Christensens said...

I know this might sound silly but you are trying and I think you are on the right path. You know most people would just give up on it, especially given the schedules.
Any family time you get is important. At least squeeze in time for a family prayer. :)
I don't really know your schedule but maybe you could read while eating breakfast, or just after dinner. They have the kid friendly scriptures now a days as well. There may be other things you can do with your kids alone while your husband is gone. Like, write in journals, sing some primary songs, or read the Friend. I feel like helping your kids get used to the spiritual things and helping them to learn to be reverent every day will help with the scripture study when dad is home.
I don't really know how to help, but I really think you are in the right direction. Good luck!

Romney Family said...

the thing that works for us is that we have scripture study and prayer every night right before the kids go to bed. If my hubby isn't here than I do it without him. We never read a full chapter just about half of one or at least a couple verses. Our kids won't sit still long enough to read a whole chapter unless it is short so we just do about as much as they have attention span for.

Live Traffic feed